I’ve been wondering about summer lunch ideas, and ordinarily, I’d prefer something healthy and refreshing like a salad. A great summer salad is the Fig and Halloumi salad with lemon balsamic dressing. Mmmm, even the name sounds so elegant. For this, I only need a few ingredients.
Halloumi cheese is typically made from sheep and goat milk. Although high in salt and fat, it is an excellent source of calcium.
A short description below:
Type: semi-soft, artisan, brined
Texture: chewy, creamy, firm and springy
Flavour: salty, savoury, tangy
Fig is another main ingredient. Figs are very healthy and highly nutritious. They go well with yoghurt and oats for breakfast. Even though figs can be eaten fresh, they taste warm, soft and sweet when lightly cooked.
The combination of these two makes for perfection, so let’s get to the recipe.
1-2 fresh figs
4 slices Halloumi cheese
Salad (spinach, rocket, etc.)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ tbsp lemon juice
salt and black pepper to taste
- Rinse figs and cut them into 4 pieces each; wash the salad
- In a small pan, heat a little oil over low heat. Fry the halloumi until golden on each side. Add figs cut-side down and cook until warm and soft, about 2 minutes.
- Put the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Mix salad and dressing and toss until the salad is evenly coated.
- Top with the halloumi and figs
What’s your favourite summer salad? Share with me on Twitter and tag @dailyteaspoon!
Don’t forget you can join my email list and get more recipes directly in your inbox!