1kg oxtail pieces
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
75cl bottle red wine (Any red wine will work but I prefer full-bodied ones like malbec, merlot or shiraz)
1 beef stock cube
A few sprigs fresh thyme
2 tbsp plain flour
Salt and pepper
- Season the oxtail with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Trim off any excess fat.
- Coat the oxtail pieces in plain flour.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Brown the oxtail over high heat for about 5 minutes, turning every now and then until nicely browned. Set aside on a plate.
- Using the same saucepan, fry the onions in low heat for 5 minutes, add carrots and fry for another 5 minutes, until softened and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the oxtail on top of the vegetables and add the thyme. Stir in the whole bottle of wine, beef stock cube. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover with a lid and cook on very low heat for about 3 hours. Stir every hour, turning the oxtail in the sauce.
- After 3 hours, the meat should be very tender (but not falling apart) and the sauce should be thick. If the sauce isn’t thick enough, transfer the oxtail pieces to a plate and keep warm while you add a tiny bit of flour+water mixture to thicken the sauce on medium or high heat. Once the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency, turn down the heat, return the oxtail pieces, cover with a lid and cook for a few minutes, then serve with creamy mashed potato.
To get Daily Teaspoon’s new recipes delivered directly to your inbox, sign up here.